[ruby-opengl-devel] new Ruby-OpenGL fork

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Tue Jan 31 15:49:00 EST 2012

(Oops, forgot to reply-all)

It didn't make it to the list, but the official repository is now https://github.com/drbrain/opengl and I'm the current maintainer.

> The fork collects the fixes contributed to
> https://github.com/pbosetti/ruby-opengl

I wasn't aware of this, but I will merge it.

> and this one
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=29477&group_id=2103&atid=8185

That's my patch

> Furthermore the build system is changed from mkrf to
> rake-compiler+mkmf and from Gem::PackageTask to Hoe.

I've also done this.

> It also includes a cross compilation task for building fat binary gems for win32 on a Unix platform.

I'll look at your fork and merge this, I don't currently have a cross-compiler set up so I'm especially interested.

> The test suite isn't fully passing, but I'm not familiar enough with OpenGL to fix it.

I've fixed the test suite as well.

I've also begun work on OpenGL 3.0 features as nobody uses the fixed-function pipeline anymore.

> You may try it out by:
>   gem install opengl --prerelease
>
> I don't want to maintain this fork for my own, but would like to merge
> it with the other contributors. So feedback is very welcome.

I'll check out your contributions and pull them in.

It'll probably take me more than one month to make a release with just OpenGL 3.0 additions (my Apple hardware supports up to 3.2) that is tested, so perhaps I should do an interim release.

My repository no longer has Ruby 1.8 support but it does fix several bugs I've found and added a few new features which are buried further down the commit log:https://github.com/drbrain/opengl/commits/master