[ruby-opengl-devel] Converting to FFI?

Andrea Fazzi andrea.fazzi at alcacoop.it
Mon Jan 3 02:45:47 EST 2011

Excerpts from Gregory Seidman's message of lun gen 03 00:37:13 +0100 2011:
> I haven't been paying much attention to ruby-opengl recently, but there
> have been some questions about working with OpenGL on the main ruby-talk
> mailing list. I was wondering if any thought had been given to moving to an
> FFI backend for ruby-opengl. Since FFI is now the preferred mechanism for
> gems with native extensions and works on MRI 1.8.7 and 1.9 as well as
> jruby, it seems like a good approach.
>
> Is there any work going on toward that? Is anyone interested in making it
> happen? I'd love to do it, since I'd like to get some practice working with
> FFI, but I've found very little free time since becoming a father.

Hi Greg,

I made the same proposal about two years ago. Here is the thread:

    http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/ruby-opengl-devel/2009-March/000196.html

Summarizing, I can say that the proposal was rejected :)

Here is the link to ffi-opengl:

    https://github.com/remogatto/ffi-opengl

Please note that, for the lack of time (and for the lack of a substantial
interest by the community), I stopped updating the project. Thus, I don't
know if it is still working with latest ruby-ffi. Of course, if there is a
renewed interest in adding such backend, I'll be happy to contribute.

Cheers,
Andrea

--
Andrea Fazzi @ alcacoop.it