[ruby-opengl-devel] anisotropic.rb:188:in `glutCreateWindow': wrong argument type String (expected Array) (TypeError)

Jan Dvorak jan.dvorak at kraxnet.cz
Sat Mar 28 22:04:12 EDT 2009

Hello,

> ruby-opengl:
>
> I get that error simply trying to run that example. Nearly all the
> examples bomb out like that.
>
> My versions are Linux tubby 2.6.27-11-generic...
>
> ruby 1.9.0 (2008-06-20 revision 17482) [i486-linux]
>
> (Installed via whatever my Ubuntu 8.10 version is)
>
> libglut3-dev - Version: 3.7-25
>
> Aaaaand ruby-opengl-0.60.1, via gem install.
>
> Please note that I have built ruby extensions before, including
> extensions that drive OpenGL, so please don't go easy on me with the
> technical details!
>
> Where should I look next?
Well, my best guess is that you have some conflicting installation of
previous version of the bindings, which gets loaded instead so try to
look for glut.so/glut.rb in standard ubuntu places (/usr/lib/ruby,
/var/lib/gems etc.).

Also if you have multiple versions of ruby (1.8,1.9), those are binary
incompatible so you need to compile the extensions (or install gem) for
each version separately.

regards,
Jan