[ruby-opengl-devel] Windows support

Al Hoang hoanga at alum.rpi.edu
Thu Mar 29 12:02:00 EDT 2007

Hi,

	Apologies for the slow reply.  And sorry if you're getting a double
on this
one Ronald.  I keep forgetting reply doesn't send to the mailing list
directly
all the time.

On Mar 29, 2007, at 10:31 PM, Ronald Pijnacker wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just stumbled on the ruby-opengl project and I am really
>> enthousiastic, since I was missing opengl extensions in the 0.32x
>> versions.
>>
>> However my main development platform is windows, and I noticed
>> that that
>> is not yet supported. Is there any particular reason?

	I've not had time to sit down and see how easy it is to get mkrf which
is the build tool ruby-opengl uses to generate dlls for Windows.  From
a glance it did not seem like it would be trivial but I'm not a Windows
developer guru either.

>> I would not mind spending some time getting this in place, so ... how
>> can I help?
>>

> With some fiddling around (editing the generated Rakefiles), I got
> everything compiled. Where/who should I contact to get the changes
> into
> the trunk?

	Please send the patches to me or post them to this list.  I'll
review them
and see about merging them into trunk and/or just hand generating a
gemfile
so that other Windows users don't have to go through hoops just to
compile
ruby-opengl on Windows.
	What might be better is if I could convince you to examine the mkrf
project and see about fixing the Generator class so it emits the proper
Rakefile for compiling under Windows as this would be a great boon in
making it easy to reduplicate the build process for ruby-opengl bindings
on Windows.

Alain