[ruby-opengl-devel] Project status

Al Hoang hoanga at alum.rpi.edu
Mon Feb 19 21:08:19 EST 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 05:35:03AM +0100, Jan Dvorak wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 February 2007 02:52, Jan Dvorak wrote:
> > Regardless of any of this, i already started implementing the few 1.0 and
> > 1.1 functions that are currently missing from the bindings, and i'll put
> > the code on my ftp when i'll check everything is working ok (i can also
> > provide patches if needed).
> Sorry for the delay, here it is:

    This is excellent!  I've been sick in bed for the past few days
so haven't had much energy to do much besides look at the ceiling.

    I've looked at the patches and it doesn't look like it intereferes
with anything currently so I'm going to commit it into the svn trunk if
you don't mind.  I've made some more changes in the Rakefile so I'm
HOPING all that is required for getting ruby-open to compile properly
(at least on Linux and OS X boxes) is:
1. Install gems
2. Install mkrf (>= 0.20)
  'gem install -y mkrf'
3. Run 'rake' in the top level directory
4. Run 'rake gem' to build the gem
5. 'gem install pkg/ruby-opengl-blahblah.gem'

    Unfortunately, I'm still trying to understand if it's possible
for the gem mechanism to build multiple extensions if they are
properly structured however from what I've seen I'm not having
much luck in finding this information but hopefully the procedure
for building is a little bit more lightweight than the previous ones.

> I've tried to match the existing coding style (whether this is good i'll leave
> to you to judge :) ). As always, any comments are welcome.

    This is inherited code for me too so I guess we can always change
around the style if it's that annoying.