[ruby-opengl-devel] Crash in glGetShaderInfoLog

Jan Dvorak jan.dvorak at kraxnet.cz
Wed Apr 11 09:06:42 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 09:45, you wrote:
> I tried running with your patch applied. This time it did not crash
> anymore, but it hung the process.
> Running in the debugger led to strange results: while stepping through
> the xfree function, I ended up in rb_str_new.
> Since this smells like memory gone bad, I ran it though purify. This
> warns about beyond stack write problems, but I really do not understand
> why. I've attached a purify screenshot that shows the problem.
> Possibly there is something corrupted in the ruby-runtime, which
> triggers these strange problems. However, I have no clue where to look.

The problem with stack corruption is it is very hard to find where exactly it
happens as it is usually caught much later in execution by malloc/free. It
may be in the ruby runtime, it may be in the fox library, it may be in our
bindings, but it may also be in the underlying opengl implementation
(drivers). I've tried to trace it on linux with valgrind, but there seems to
be no problem, so i'll try it tommorrow on windows installation to see if
thats any different. Can you try to write/run the same code without the fox
library (only with glut) to eliminate one of the possibilities ? Thanks.