[ruby-opengl-devel] Crash in glGetShaderInfoLog

Jan Dvorak jan.dvorak at kraxnet.cz
Thu Apr 5 14:29:30 EDT 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007 19:57, Ronald Pijnacker wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am experiencing a problem with glGetShaderInfoLog: a crash.
> I tried debugging through it, but I end up somewhere in the runtime,
> where I cannot follow what's going on anymore (somewhere in ruby_eval).
> Platform: windows
> ruby-opengl version: svn version r173.
> ruby: ruby 1.8.6 (one-click-installer)
> Any help would be appreciated.
Can you post the code (ar at least minimal testcase) ? I'm afraid any
functionality from 1.1+ wasn't much tested (i was hoping to do that next
week), although i got shader code running without problems.

> Also: I was expecting glGetShaderiv to return a bool when passing
> GL_COMPILE_STATUS. Instead I got 0, which passes through if ...
> Would it be feasible to return a boolean type when OpenGL docs specify
> that GL_TRUE or GL_FALSE is returned?
That would require adding lots of code for each function that may return
GLboolean, and also redefining GL_TRUE/FALSE itself to ruby bool. It would
also make the code incompatible with C. I don't think that explicitly writing
GL_TRUE/FALSE in conditions is that much of inconvenience :) - assuming
GL_TRUE/FALSE to be equivalent to true/false isn't good practice even in C.