[ruby-opengl-devel] [Mkrf-users] Support for building on Windows

Jan Dvorak jan.dvorak at kraxnet.cz
Thu Apr 5 10:26:00 EDT 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007 12:12, Ronald Pijnacker wrote:
>I've attached the patch for making ruby-opengl build on windows.
>This includes the patch Jan sent out last week that provides the extra
Thanks. I've added your patch to the svn, seems working fine. Can you also
provide detailed building instruction (and environment, eg. which compiler
and version you used) for the bindings on windows ? We'll add them to the

> 2. The Init_opengl symbol can be dropped, I think, since the name of the
>    extension was changed into 'gl'.
>    Just removing the Init_gl and Init_opengl from this file does not seem
>    to give any problems (which I expected).
Yes, those are leftovers from the previous versions.

> 3. How bad would it be to include rbogl.c in both gl and glu Rakefiles?
>    Although it would have to be built twice, it saves on Rakefile (in
>    common/) which currently is not auto-generated.
Although it is technically possible, i would rather see the build system
adjusted so it won't be needed.

> 4. How does libruby.so.x.y.z get sucked in on the other architectures?
>    I seem to need to add this.
I think the symbols from libruby are resolved by dynamic linker when ruby
loads the plugins (gl.so,glu.so ..), so libruby.so isn't needed at
compile-time (only header files as ruby.h). I don't know how this translates
to windows shared-lib building process though.