[ruby-opengl-devel] [Mkrf-users] Support for building on Windows

Jan Dvorak jan.dvorak at kraxnet.cz
Thu Apr 5 10:26:00 EDT 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007 12:12, Ronald Pijnacker wrote:
>I've attached the patch for making ruby-opengl build on windows.
>This includes the patch Jan sent out last week that provides the extra
>typedefs.
Thanks. I've added your patch to the svn, seems working fine. Can you also
provide detailed building instruction (and environment, eg. which compiler
and version you used) for the bindings on windows ? We'll add them to the
doc/build_install.txt

> 2. The Init_opengl symbol can be dropped, I think, since the name of the
>    extension was changed into 'gl'.
>
>    Just removing the Init_gl and Init_opengl from this file does not seem
>    to give any problems (which I expected).
Yes, those are leftovers from the previous versions.

> 3. How bad would it be to include rbogl.c in both gl and glu Rakefiles?
>    Although it would have to be built twice, it saves on Rakefile (in
>    common/) which currently is not auto-generated.
Although it is technically possible, i would rather see the build system
adjusted so it won't be needed.

> 4. How does libruby.so.x.y.z get sucked in on the other architectures?
>    I seem to need to add this.

I think the symbols from libruby are resolved by dynamic linker when ruby
loads the plugins (gl.so,glu.so ..), so libruby.so isn't needed at
compile-time (only header files as ruby.h). I don't know how this translates
to windows shared-lib building process though.

Regards,
Jan