[ruby-opengl-devel] Re : Requirements and Design

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 01:28:50 EDT 2006

On 9/2/06, minh thu <noteed at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > > Are you working on ruby-opengl this Labor Day week-end ? Until when
> > > does it last ?

I've got Monday off too. I'm hoping to get the basics of ruby-opengl working.

> >   [snip]

Thanks. It's now in the source tree under a new "utils" directory. I
think Peter made some changes to it.

> (it is
> > > accompagned with a simple build.sh)
> > > It was tested on freeglut_std.h. It doesn't handle yet the callbacks
> > > but I understand how
> > > to handle them.
> > > It is still a bit messy...
> >
> >   I like the idea of the script, but it seems to conflict with the
> > idea of using Yoshi's code as a base...  Perhaps Thu can check the
> > code into a directory, trunk/experimental (or something) because I'd
> > like to play with it, but I first needed to make some tweaks to get it
> > to compile on OSX.
> conflict with Yoshi'code : not really : it depends on what we really want.

I believe what we want is to keep Yoshi's code in-tact, and to use
some tool(s) to help us:

1. grep out the names of new stuff in the Mesa headers (new since
OpenGL 1.2) that we don't already have, and
2. insert skeletons -- for just those items -- into our existing
source files, while also putting in the appropriate conditional
compilation flags.

In the past, I've usually approached these sorts of tasks as a series
of tiny one-off temporary scripts, intermixed with using my editor's
search/replace function, sometimes saving temp files as I go,
massaging them bit-by-bit until I've got what I want to copy/paste
into the source. After that is when I start doing any necessary
hand-coding that remains to be done.

My guess is that, after this initial big fix-up (bringing us up from
OGL 1.2), we wouldn't need to use such tools again. Thoughts?