[ruby-opengl-devel] Requirements and Design

peter mclain peter.mclain at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 02:56:35 EDT 2006

> * Regarding BaseGLUT depending only upon BaseGL: in real life, libglut
> depends on both libglu and libgl

  Sorry...silly mistake on my part.

> * What does this one mean:
>
> | * The project will make a development environment suitable for porting to
> |   other platforms available via checkout from the svn repository

  I was trying to distinguish between the development environment in
svn, which is suitable for developers creating their own port to
whatever, and the pre-compiled and packaged gems we'd make available.

>  Further, I'm also warming up to the
> idea of having the module names first-letter-only-capitalized:

  I'm not worrying about the "Gl" vs "GL" issue right now.  That's a
ten second fix in the code, and a simple query replace in the ruby
scripts if we get it wrong.  I have a preference for doing it the ruby
way, unless there is a compelling reason not to, so I'd lean toward
"Gl".

> * Regarding tracking of different versions of GL and GLUT, 0.32pre2
> already has Yoshi's conditional stuff in it for older versions. Anyone
> know how difficult it would be with SWIG to get it to do the same sort
> of thing?
>
> Peter -- have you formed an opinion on the SWIG issue yet?

  My only reluctance in doing it by hand is the tedium of ensuring we
get it *all* done.  I guess in either case, we'll want a test suite
that excercises all of the functions.  I imagine a quick script to
read gl.h and spit out some c-stubs might be in order.  I'm ok going
with the non-swig.

--
Peter McLain
peter.mclain at gmail.com