[ruby-opengl-devel] Re : opinions on rubygl

minh thu noteed at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 06:46:38 EDT 2006

here's my feeling :

just to remind you/us that opengl is a *low* level api. so this
emphases the point about namespace issue : the places where names must
be nice/rubyish are at a higher level that our bindings.
if we want to provide rubyish style, it must be an option for the user
to use it or not.

otoh, (i said this because John mentioned this off-list) we can let
people -- those who already know a bit or a lot about opengl -- use
the rubyish style quite easily by providing a good doc : for example,
a mapping from C style to rubyish style and a clear explanation of the
name conversion scheme we adopted.

finaly, i think that, even in the rubyish version, we have to provide
the user the possibility to require only opengl, without glut. Imagine
a wonderful new rubyforge project where some really cool guys want to
build a ruby-written toolkit targeted to opengl development : they
won't want to include glut but they will do something along the line
require 'opengl' # our opengl bindings, without glut
require 'glx' # some other bindings for xlib programming with opengl