[ruby-opengl-devel] Building on Mac OS X

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 23:30:37 EST 2006

On 11/5/06, Shannon Holland <holland at loser.net> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2006, at 2:38 PM, John Gabriele wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it should work for OS X one way or another, but not with the
> > current top-level Rakefile.
> >
> > Please try installing mkrf (http://rubyforge.org/projects/mkrf/) from
> > svn source, and then running the ruby-opengl build.sh script. If that
> > works for you, I'll remove the compiling/linking commands from the
> > top-level Rakefile, since they're currently broken anyway.
> >
> [snip]
>
> "rake gem" got
> me a mkrf gem which I could then install.
>
> But, I'm still failing in the build. running build.sh gets me a bunch
> of errors, a top listing of which is:
>
> Cleaning up previous build products ...
> Building common/rbogl.o ...
> (in /Users/holland/Source/ruby/ruby-opengl/trunk/ext/common)
> cc -c -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -pipe  -fno-common -pipe -fno-common -
> I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin8.0 -F/System/Library/Frameworks -
> o rbogl.o rbogl.c
>
> Making Rakefile for gl ...
> Building gl ...
> (in /Users/holland/Source/ruby/ruby-opengl/trunk/ext/gl)
> gcc  -fno-common -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -pipe  -fno-common -pipe -
> fno-common   -I/usr/include -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin8.0 -
> I/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 -I. -c -o gl.o gl.c
> cc $(RC_CFLAGS) -bundle  -L"/usr/lib/ruby/1.8" -o gl.bundle gl.o ../
> common/rbogl.o -lpthread -ldl -lobjc
> sh: line 1: RC_CFLAGS: command not found
> /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _glAccum
> _glAlphaFunc
>

> Thanks for your help!

Doing a quick search, I see that this has come up before on ruby-talk.
It seems that the version of Ruby that comes with OS X has a broken
rbconfig.rb. You'll be best off grabbing and installing the most
current Ruby.

I've got no experience with installing Ruby on OS X. I'm guessing you
leave the older one in-place, install the fresh one with the usual
incantations (such that it will end up in /usr/local I presume), and
then make sure your $PATH is set up such that you always hit the Ruby
that you just installed before Apple's. You may have to look around
for Apple-specific Ruby install instructions on the net (I'm sure it's
come up on ruby-talk in the past).

You'll also want to change the shebang line in your scripts from
/usr/bin/ruby (?) to wherever you install the current version.

*Then* you can install the bleeding-edge mkrf, and then build ruby-opengl.

---John