[ruby-opengl-devel] Building on Mac OS X

Shannon Holland holland at loser.net
Sun Nov 5 13:56:05 EST 2006

I hope this doesn't wind up being too dumb of a question, being quite
new to ruby and all, but I'm having difficulties on building ruby-
opengl on a Mac OS X 10.4.8 (intel) system.

When I run the build.sh script I get:

============================== compiling: ext/gl/gl.c --> ext/gl/gl.o
cc -g -Os -pipe -fno-common -pipe  -fno-common -pipe -fno-common -I/
usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin8.0 F/System/Library/Frameworks -c -
o ext/gl/gl.o ext/gl/gl.c

============================== linking ext/gl/gl.bundle
cc -bundle -lruby -framework GLUT -framework OpenGL -o ext/gl/
gl.bundle ext/gl/gl.o ext/common/rbogl.o -lGL
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lGL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
rake aborted!
Command failed with status (1): [cc -bundle -lruby -framework GLUT -

I'm assuming -lGL is referring to the OpenGL library, but won't that
have already been handled via the "-framework OpenGL" option?

I'm getting a few other build errors as well. The big one being on
the link of the glut bundle:

cc $(RC_CFLAGS) -bundle  -L"/usr/lib/ruby/1.8" -o glut.bundle glut.o
-lpthread -ldl -lobjc

-framework GLUT is not included, RC_CLFAGS is undefined and -lruby is
also not included.

Should this all be working on OS X? Might there be something else I
needed to have done?