[ruby-opengl-devel] Hello all, self introduction and an update to the Rakefile

Al Hoang hoanga at alum.rpi.edu
Fri Dec 15 11:48:44 EST 2006

Hello all,

    My name is Alain Hoang and I signed up to help try to take
maintainership
of the ruby-opengl bindings.  I'm very happy to have found this project as
I was a little flabbergasted at seeing how old the Yoshi OpenGL bindings
were.

    I'm going to spend some more time looking over the documentation that's
available and make sure I have a clear idea of the direction and try to
document
the current state of the system and where to go from here.  My understanding
is mkrf is sort of stuck and a new release needs to be made in order for
ruby-opengl to be able to build properly.  I'll see what I can do about
helping with that.

    In the meantime, I've also committed in a change to the Rakefile so
that it
an generate a gem after running build.sh.  I did this to help in testing the
ruby-opengl binding a little bit faster.  I don't know about you folk but
I can never remember where any of the libraries go :( so having a gem
makes this much simpler to install, test, and toss.  So far the current
way I can get trunk to build (On Ubuntu) is:

1. Make a svn checkout of mkrf
2. Build mkrf and install it as a gem or just install it
3. Checkout ruby-opengl
4. Run build.sh to compile the C bindings
5. Run 'rake gem' which creates a gem in the pkg/ subdirectory
6. 'cd pkg' then run 'gem install opengl-x.y.z.gem'

    For the meantime, I've chosen the version number 0.3.2 as this
corresponds closely
to Yoshi's last version number for the OpenGL bindings however quite a few
changes have been made so perhaps bumping this up to 0.4.0 would be a better
idea?  Or if people have a better idea for version numbers I'm all ears.

Cheers,
Alain