[ruby-opengl-devel] about gl_untyped.i

minh thu noteed at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 05:45:32 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

1/
I'm wondering why is there a gl_untyped.i :
I mean, I know what's its purpose, but why is it done in C and why is
it done in a .i ?

The fact it's done in a .i is maybe so we can use the %init SWIG
clause... and keep the number of files low. I thought that kind of
thing would be in its own .c file.

Another approach, which I like, would be to keep the .bundle/.so
restricted to call the original libs (i.e. without the extra 'untyped'
functions) and put those 'extra' in a separate .rb file.

Briefly : minimal .bundle/.so wrapper modules and cool ruby stuff in .rb.
So we can either :
require 'opengl' (for other toolkit) or
require 'glut' (which requires itself opengl) or
require 'super_rubyish_opengl'

.. and the final user can wrap the .bundle/.so in its own way, not only ours.

2/
what's the reason to call the gl*d versions, not the gl*f versions ?

cheers,
thu