[ruby-dbi-users] Proposing patch for sqlite3 driver (very, very long)

Erik Hollensbe erik at hollensbe.org
Thu Oct 2 22:50:46 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 01 October 2008 23:30:57 Erik Hollensbe wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 17:54:10 KUBO Takehiro wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Jarl Friis <jarl at gavia.dk> wrote:
> > > So all-in-all I consider my proposal at least as good as the current
> > > implementation. Yet I agree that it could be nice with an even better
> > > solution. The low-level pg-driver accepts a DateTime, could that be
> > > used
> >
> > How about the following solution?
> > 1. execute 'SHOW DateStyle;' just after establishing a connection.
> The problem is still a problem however, and that's due to how coarse DBI's
> handling of inbound parameter conversion (dbh.do, sth.execute, etc) is
> done. I knew this was a less than optimal solution, but I didn't realize it
> would be such an impediment for issues like this. It looks like DBI 0.4.1
> needs to be released with a solution to this problem.

I know I promised a prototype tonight, but being realistic I just don't think
it's going to happen. Tomorrow is Friday and I imagine I can get something
for review either tomorrow night or Saturday sometime. I'm going to post a
news item on the RF page right now explaining the current problem with
DBD::Pg and solutions to avoid it.

I still want comments, or even full designs that solve these issues; I'm happy
to consider them with equivalent weight against my own proposals, and would
love to hear from uninvolved community members if they have opinions on what
strategies would work best for them.