[ruby-dbi-users] Oracle vs. OCI8 driver

Erik Hollensbe erik at hollensbe.org
Fri Mar 14 07:25:53 EDT 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008 21:05:11 databaseofgrace.5.pistos at geoshell.com
wrote:
> On 12/03/2008, Erik Hollensbe - erik at hollensbe.org wrote:
> >  So in lieu of all of this, I'm proposing:
> >
> >  1) That we deprecate the Oracle driver, politely asking that those that
> > need it maintain it, which is the direction we're heading anyways.
> >
> >  2) We modify the test suite to test against OCI8, outright skipping the
> > types testing (but making sure the rest works) until 0.4.0 starts
> > development, which is going to have a strong focus on type handling.
> >
> >  Complaints/flames/ideas?
>
> This sounds reasonable to me.  Better to get the release out and show
> the world that DBI is alive and kicking.  Any complaints raised after
> the fact can be dealt with as they come up.

Yeah, that's the idea.

Tonight will probably be our release night (been trying to get it out all
week, but things came up), after I test/integrate some patches from Mike
Pomraning to the Pg driver.

I'll be sure to let this list know as soon as 0.2.0 release hits the floor. If
anyone has any questions, I tried to answer some things about 0.2.0 (and a
bit about 0.4.0) in the news section of the project page.

--
Erik Hollensbe <erik at hollensbe.org>