[ruby-dbi-users] ADO adapter.

Erik Hollensbe erik at hollensbe.org
Mon Mar 10 08:56:49 EDT 2008

Tim Uckun wrote:
>>  Very soon we will not be supporting the Windows-based DBD's, but we're
>>  looking for someone to manage these. If you have any interest, let me
>>  know privately.
>>

> I am disappointed to hear that.  i don't know if I want the
> responsibility of maintaining the codebase but I will think about it.
>
> Thanks for the git URL.
>
> BTW does this mean you are not interested in the patches

Yes, we *are* interested in the patches.

The core issue (that I should have explained better earlier, but I just
got back from the bar :) is that we're eventually breaking the DBDs out
into separate gems for separate maintainership, similar to how Perl
manages DBI and its related DBDs. Chris and myself have no access to
windows testing resources and the databases in particular, and we both
consider testing to be crucial to how development takes place. To top
this, neither of us are Windows developers, making low-level work
painful and error-prone (which doesn't benefit anyone, really).

So, since we can't really *test* ADO and SQLServer and other
Windows-based databases, we're unfortunately unable to support them
directly. What would be our ideal situation is that these DBDs do not
disappear but are picked up by someone that has the same interest in
testing that we do and enough drive to maintain these against a DBI/DBD
standard that evolves with time. And hey, that person gets a free test
suite to accompany the DBD. ;)

Right now I can almost predict, considering the state of other DBDs that
I've worked on, that when the current spec is followed, it's followed
poorly. We're looking to limit the burden of supporting all these
databases by allowing others to maintain DBDs that they can test against
so we can focus on making DBI and DBDs better as a whole by allowing
more people to work on them, write tests for them, release them
independently.

I HTH. It's not that we don't want to support them, it's that it's
really not practical to do so for a number of reasons. We are looking
for a windows person that can help us with the project as a lead
developer and hope to find that person before our first feature release.

-Erik