[ruby-dbi-users] M4DBI: Models

Erik Hollensbe erik at hollensbe.org
Sat Mar 1 01:32:50 EST 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 11:15:19 databaseofgrace.5.pistos at geoshell.com
wrote:
> Hello all.  I'm glad to see DBI getting some attention again.  I've
> tried ActiveRecord, Og and Sequel, but after all is said and done, I
> feel most at home with DBI.  :)
>
> http://rome.purepistos.net/m4dbi/rdoc
> http://rome.purepistos.net/m4dbi/examples/
>
> I just wanted to start publicizing a project I've begun recently:
> M4DBI - Models for DBI.  I agree with the general philosophy of
> keeping DBI a lean and low-level means of accessing one's database.
> At the same time, I enjoy the convenience of the ORMs in that they let
> me work with models and relationships between them in a nice, Ruby-ish
> way.  I don't care much for the SQL-alike constructs that other ORMs
> try to give, so I made M4DBI: all the power and low-level feel of DBI,
> but with models.
>
> M4DBI is heavily spec'ed, with nearly 99% c0 code coverage:
> http://rome.purepistos.net/m4dbi/rcov/ and I and another user are
> using it in a few places.

Sounds awesome! This IMO is exactly how DBI should be used, as a lower-level
API to databases.

Do you have a repository I can track? SInce Ruby/DBI has an anemic test suite
at the moment, the test suite you have might provide some very useful checks
for Ruby/DBI... I'd love to be able to leverage it.

Thanks,

--
Erik Hollensbe <erik at hollensbe.org>