[ruby-dbi-users] ntext fields with empty string crashing Ruby on OS X

Erik Hollensbe erik at hollensbe.org
Thu Apr 24 23:02:34 EDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 10:07 AM, Don Coleman wrote:
> Ruby is crashing with a Segmentation fault when selecting a ntext
> column that contains an empty string.  I'm not sure if this is a dbi
> bug.

Hi Don,

My suspicion is that the problem is in the underlying 'odbc' driver
that DBI::DBD::ODBC uses, or in ruby itself. This is further evidenced
by the fact that the system works fine on other platforms, and that
DBI and the DBD in question leverage no C bindings by themselves.

I also want to remind you that DBD::ODBC will no longer be supported
by me as of 0.4.0, which is our next feature release. I lack the
resources to test against this and many other (mostly windows)
database systems, and will expect the community to maintain these
drivers should support wish to continue.

Thanks for your time,

-Erik