[rspec-users] RSpec with devise test helpers

Paul Ols lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Oct 16 19:17:24 UTC 2013

I've set my Rails (engine) project to include devise and other tools
like FactoryGirl.
I'd like to write some tests with contexts around anon/authenticated

In my spec_helper.rb's RSpec.configure block, I have this:

config.include Devise::TestHelpers, type: :controller

Which gives me this, when running rspec:

  1) PropertiesController GET 'index' returns http success
     Failure/Error: Unable to find matching line from backtrace
       no implicit conversion of nil into Hash
/Users/phendrick/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p0 at hendrickdev.brightnest/gems/devise-3.0.0/lib/devise/test_helpers.rb:31:in
/Users/phendrick/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p0 at hendrickdev.brightnest/gems/devise-3.0.0/lib/devise/test_helpers.rb:31:in
`block in warden'
/Users/phendrick/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p0 at hendrickdev.brightnest/gems/warden-1.2.3/lib/warden/manager.rb:23:in

Without the TestHelpers module included, the specs run (obviously none
of them have devise logic in them just yet).

Any ideas what's causing this error and how I can resolve it?