[rspec-users] (no subject)

Guirec Corbel guirec.corbel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 19:41:52 UTC 2013

I realy like to use features spec but I have some questions about the
organisation :

1. How should I group the features specs?

For the moment, I try to group by controllers. For example, I can have a
file "users_spec.rb", "artists_spec.rb", etc... Maybe it's better to group
by user story... What do you think?

2. What is a "very high level"?

I try to keep my features specs at a very high level. I test only the
interactions between the user and the application. I test only the "happy
path". You can find one example of my tests here :

I do specs for controllers, mailers, models, etc. but is it good to also
check if a new record is added or if a mail is send in a feature spec?

I think it's not an implementation detail. The user want to have and email
sended and a user created. If I check if a user is created, should I test
if there is a new model or should I go to the index page and check if the
user exist?

3. Is it possible to drop all technical details outside the scenario?

In some scenario, I can have this :

        AdminUser.create!(email: 'admin at example.com', password: 'test1234')

This is not related to what the client want to have. It's only
implementation details. I know I can put it on a background but, if I have
many scenarios, I should do one background per scenario. I think it's not
very clean. I like to have a clean file and I don't want to use describe
and contexts on a feature spec. What you think?

So, what you think about all of this subjects. Your opinion will be very