[rspec-users] rspec-rails does execute any tests

Josh Moore josh at resumecompanion.com
Fri Mar 23 08:34:17 UTC 2012

I  have inherited a rails 2.3.14 application with no tests. I have gotten cucumber working but when I try to user rspec will not run any of the test cases. These are the first four lines in myspec/spec_helper.rb.

ENV["RAILS_ENV"] ||= 'test'
require File.expand_path(File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__),'..','config','environment'))
require 'spec/autorun'
require 'spec/rails'
When I run bundle exec rake spec it does not have any test cases. But, when I remove require 'spec/rails' it runs correctly and the test cases are executed. I have looked at all the code and even started digging into the rspec-rails gem (rspec-rails 1.3.4 and rspec 1.3.2) but have not found anything. Any ideas of what might be going wrong when rspec-rails is used?

Josh Moore
resumecompanion.com
josh at resumecompanion.com