[rspec-users] and_raise with a message

Bas Vodde basv at odd-e.com
Wed Aug 22 05:56:21 UTC 2012

Hiya all,

I was trying to get and_raise to raise an exception filled with a message and I was struggling with the API for a while (not on the latest RSpec, but assume it didn't change).

Based on that, I have a suggestion for improvement. My first attempt was to mirror how I use raise, so I tried:

    subject.should_receive(:do_system).and_raise(Osaka::SystemCommandFailed, "execution error: System Events got an error: Access for assistive devices is disabled. (-25211)")

This didn't work as the and_raise only has one parameter. Eventually I figured out this works:

    subject.should_receive(:do_system).and_raise(Osaka::SystemCommandFailed.new ("execution error: System Events got an error: Access for assistive devices is disabled. (-25211)"))

And it does what I want it to do. Still… I would have prefered the first one to work too :) Implementing that ought to be reasonably trivial, correct?
(didn't implement it myself yet this time).

Comments? Or is there anyone way of doing this?

Thanks!

Bas