[rspec-users] Assertions for asynchronous behaviour

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue Sep 20 07:55:13 EDT 2011

Thanks for all the ideas. I just rolled my own which expects a block with an assertion in it:

https://gist.github.com/1228927

Could we put this into RSpec somewhere? I'd rather not dump the source into The Cucumber Book - it's too low level. I could put it into it's own little gem but that seems like creating clutter in the gemsphere.

WDYT?

On 13 Sep 2011, at 17:41, Alex Chaffee wrote:

> Sure. "wait_for" is a method Brian Takita and I originally wrote for
> use in Selenium tests, then IIRC it made it into the Selenium gem and
> now lots of libraries use it (or their own version -- I make no patent
> claim on polling :-)). The wait_for I remember allowed you to
> customize the failure message. Let me go see if it's on GitHub or
> anything...
>
> Ah, here's one:
> https://github.com/pivotal/selenium/blob/master/lib/selenium/wait_for.rb
>
> (Maybe I should put it in Wrong.)
>
> - A
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:56 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> In GOOS[1] they use an assertion called assertEventually which samples the
>> system for a success state until a certain timeout has elapsed. This allows
>> you to synchronise the tests with asynchronous code.
>> Do we have an equivalent of that in the Ruby / RSpec world already? I know
>> capybara has wait_until { } but that's fairly rudimentary - the failure
>> message isn't very helpful. Is there anything else already out there?
>> [1] http://www.growing-object-oriented-software.com/
>> cheers,
>> Matt
>> --