[rspec-users] rspec rake task + bundler: feedback requested

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 08:51:04 EDT 2011

Hey folks,

RSpec's assumption that the existence of a Gemfile means you want to use Bundler to configure runtime environment is flawed. We added a skip_bundler option to the rake task, but that was a temporary hack to get us through a release without breaking existing suites.

This still presents a problem for anyone who doesn't have Bundler installed, and is contributing to an open source project that does use Bundler for installing gems as a convenience, but doesn't need it for the runtime environment. I'm sure there are other cases.

If this topic interests you, please take a look at https://github.com/rspec/rspec-core/issues/454 and my proposed fix at https://github.com/rspec/rspec-core/commit/f90b9f5c6ce5efdfb5cf18efbe27adf87d0fa848. I think this is a good solution to the problem, but I want to get some feedback before merging this to master.

Please comment in the issue and/or the commit on http://github.com/ rather than here. I'd like to keep the conversation in one place.

Thanks,
David