[rspec-users] Testing Custom Methods

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 11:12:56 EST 2011

On Nov 12, 2011, at 6:27 PM, Tony Spore wrote:

> -Thanks,
> Tony Spore
>

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Tony Spore wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to test a custom method, and totally bombing out.
>> describe Record do
>>   describe '#save_cf_data' do
>>     before  :each do
>>       @record = mock_model(Record)
>
> mock_model creates a test double, or pure mock ...
>
>>     end
>>     it "should have a birthday" do
>>       @record.save_cf_data({"final_outputs"=>["birth_day"=>["3"]]})
>>       @record.birth_day.should eql 3
>
> ... which means that @record here ^^ is a test double, not a Record object ...
>
>>     end
>> end
>>
>> My Model looks like this:
>> class Record < ActiveRecord::Base
>>    def save_cf_data(params)
>>      result = params[:final_outputs].first
>>       self.birth_day = result['birth_day'].first
>>   end
>> end
>
> ... which means that this class definition ^^ has nothing to do with anything in the example above.
>
>> I have this output - As if I'm not hitting the method correctly -
>> Mock "Record_1002" received unexpected message :save_cf_data with ({"final_outputs"=>[{"birth_day"=>["3"]}]})
>>

> What you want is either stub_model, or just Record.new or, if you're using something like factory_girl, Factory.build(Record).
>
> See https://www.relishapp.com/rspec/rspec-rails/docs/mocks/mock-model and https://www.relishapp.com/rspec/rspec-rails/docs/mocks/stub-model for more info.
>
> HTH,
> David

> Great thanks!
>
> So now I am at least calling the method - But when I try to add in the params that I'm being sent I keep returning nil -
>   Failure/Error: @record.save_cf_data(result)
>      NoMethodError:
>        You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!
>        You might have expected an instance of Array.
>        The error occurred while evaluating nil.delete
>
> In the above case I create the hash as result = {"final_outputs"=>["surname"=>["hagan"]]}
>
> When I manually place in the params -
> Failure/Error: @record.save_cf_data({"final_outputs"=>["surname"=>["hagan"]]})
>      NoMethodError:
>        You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!
>        You might have expected an instance of Array.
>        The error occurred while evaluating nil.first
>
> So now as I go down this path, I would say that I am not feeding into the method my params. How would it be best to do that?
>
> I am right now just trying to use rspec with no additional params.
>
> Thanks again!

I'd love to help, but ...

1. please post either inline or at the bottom (I moved your post to the bottom in this case - see http://idallen.com/topposting.html).
2. please post actual code or a link to a gist instead of descriptions of the code or changes you made. And example is worth 10000 words, and it makes it easier for people who are trying to help to understand exactly what you're dealing with.

Cheers,
David