[rspec-users] given-when-then-and syntax support in Rspec

Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas lbocseg at yahoo.com.br
Sun Mar 27 18:16:51 EDT 2011

Em 27-03-2011 10:32, Matt Wynne escreveu:
> On 27 Mar 2011, at 03:43, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas wrote:
>
>> Hi David and fellows,
>>
>> I know this subject has already been discussed here and there are already some attempts to support the given-when-then-and syntax in Rspec, like the links below:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/206969
>> https://github.com/jimweirich/rspec-given
>>
>> First, I don't understand the reason to adopt the capital method names Given/When/Then/And instead of given/when/then/and. Then, I don't think we can call this some real support for that syntax because "example" is not meant to be executed in any special order in Rspec nor it can be defined that any additional "then/and" should be aborted if a prior expectation wasn't met. And both solutions seem to work by simple aliasing "example" and "describe".
>>
>> I never used Cucumber because I find that working with it is cumbersome for most cases.
>>
>> I've been working mostly with Grails on my daily job for about 2 years now since I moved to my current job. I wanted something like Rspec for Groovy and Grails and while searching for some alternative, I found EasyB:
>>
>> http://www.easyb.org/
>>
>> Actually I liked the story syntax they provide as well as the reports and I found it would be useful for Rspec to incorporate that style too:
>>
>> http://www.easyb.org/howtos.html
>>
>> What do you think?
> Why not just use Cucumber?

I'll repeat myself: "I never used Cucumber because I find that working
with it is cumbersome for most cases".

That is really the reason :) I don't feel the need for the extra work. I
just want to use directly the syntax in the test code. Writing step
definitions besides the feature text seems too much work to me, while I
would like to do both at once, even if I don't get some english-only (or
any other language) specification.

Regards,

Rodrigo