[rspec-users] given-when-then-and syntax support in Rspec

Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas lbocseg at yahoo.com.br
Sat Mar 26 22:43:21 EDT 2011

Hi David and fellows,

I know this subject has already been discussed here and there are
already some attempts to support the given-when-then-and syntax in
Rspec, like the links below:

https://gist.github.com/206969
https://github.com/jimweirich/rspec-given

First, I don't understand the reason to adopt the capital method names
Given/When/Then/And instead of given/when/then/and. Then, I don't think
we can call this some real support for that syntax because "example" is
not meant to be executed in any special order in Rspec nor it can be
defined that any additional "then/and" should be aborted if a prior
expectation wasn't met. And both solutions seem to work by simple
aliasing "example" and "describe".

I never used Cucumber because I find that working with it is cumbersome
for most cases.

I've been working mostly with Grails on my daily job for about 2 years
now since I moved to my current job. I wanted something like Rspec for
Groovy and Grails and while searching for some alternative, I found EasyB:

http://www.easyb.org/

Actually I liked the story syntax they provide as well as the reports
and I found it would be useful for Rspec to incorporate that style too:

http://www.easyb.org/howtos.html

What do you think?

Best regards!

Rodrigo.