[rspec-users] Testing routes with a prefix

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 14:12:30 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Radhesh Kamath <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Justin Ko wrote in post #988825:
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Radhesh Kamath
>> <lists at ruby-forum.com>wrote:
>>>  end
>>> rspec-users at rubyforge.org
>> You're mapping absolute strings (URL's) to your routes. Any string
>> manipulation would dilute the spec. In my opinion, this is not a case of
>> keeping things DRY.
> It's clear that you have understood my intent: keep things DRY by
> specifying the prefix once, and write tests as though the prefix is
> implicitly specified.
> But what do you mean by 'dilute the spec'?

It makes it hard to read. You have a new concept to understand: all
the routes being specified are not the routes being specified.

> Do you think it might make the spec brittle?
> Pat:
> I just want to keep things DRY by specifying the 'v1' prefix once, so
> the example would be 'v1/...', only 'v1' would be implicitly set in some
> way.

What you propose would introduce an abstraction that will make it
harder to understand failures in order to save a few duplicate
keystrokes. This is _not_ what DRY is about. See
http://www.artima.com/intv/dry.html for some background on that.