[rspec-users] Functional Tests with custom routes

Brian Ledsworth lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Mar 18 11:46:43 EDT 2011

...not the place to do this, and I should do it in Cucumber or
something?

Yes!

Tthe concept of testing controllers, views and models separately, is
related to isolation of concerns.  Your controller test is just that,
testing the controller, regardless of routing, views, models, etc.
You're unit testing, so to speak, just object#change_color.  This is why
mocks and stubs are created as well, to remove the coupling of the three
so you can test each on it's own.

Grain of salt disclaimer, I'm not to far down my BDD journey with Rails
with RSpec and Cucumber myself....