[rspec-users] help with rspec

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 08:27:48 EDT 2011

On Jun 12, 2011, at 2:25 AM, שלומי צדוק wrote:

> Hi all,
> My name is Shlomi Zadok - I am an old time PHP (mainly Drupal) developer and I am doing my first application on Ruby on Rails ( I just love it!!)
> I am trying to test my application with rspec and I am having problems.
> I have to admit that I rushed with the development and neglected the testing  - I have installed rspec & webrat only after finished the prototype, not sure it is related.
> The error I am getting is:
> Failure/Error: Unable to find matching line from backtrace
> NameError:
> uninitialized constant ActionController::TestCase::Assertions
> You have encountered that question a lot huh? :)
> Please find below my configurations:
> I run Ubuntu 11.04
> Rails 3.0.7
> ruby 1.8.7 (2010-08-16 patchlevel 302) [i686-linux]
> I use Aptana as an IDE
> My Gemfile:
> ----
> group :development do
>   gem 'rspec-rails', '2.5.0'
> end
> group :test do
>   gem 'rspec', '2.5.0'
>   gem 'webrat', '0.7.1'
> end

Do this instead:

group :development, :test do
  gem 'rspec-rails', '2.5.0'

group :test do
  gem 'webrat', '0.7.1'

rspec-rails needs to be in the development env in order to expose the rake tasks and the test environment in order to be loaded when you run the spec suite. It has a dependency on rspec, so you don't need to list rspec explicitly.

Webrat only needs to be in the development env.