[rspec-users] rake 0.9.0 activated error + debugger not working?

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue Jun 7 04:44:58 EDT 2011

On 7 Jun 2011, at 03:06, Patrick J. Collins wrote:

>> rspec, not rake:
>
> Oops!  I missed that..  So other than this debugger thing, are there any other
> differences between rake spec and rspec spec?

Just a bit! They're two completely different commands that run two completely different computer programs.

Rake is a tool for running tasks of any nature, which you can invoke with the command `rake`. If you run `rake -T` in your project, you'll see that `rake spec` is just one of many other tasks you can run that do all kinds of things, not just to do with running tests.

RSpec is a tool for running BDD-style unit tests, which you can invoke with the command `rspec`. If you run `rspec --help` you'll see all the options you could pass to the rspec command.

In the case of `rake spec` the `spec` part is the name of the Rake task which runs your RSpec tests.

In the case of `rspec spec` the `spec` part is the folder where you want the `rspec` program to look for tests to run.

Does that make more sense now?

cheers,
Matt

--