[rspec-users] Request for comments: Scenario

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 12:20:08 EDT 2011

On Jun 4, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Tyson Tate wrote:

> I created a gem a few weeks ago that I think the RSpec community might be interested in: https://github.com/tysontate/scenario (and that I'd love to get feedback on). It supports RSpec 1 and 2.
>
> It aims to solve a few of the problems we've had with a large spec suite that's been built over several years:
> A veritable forest of global helper methods that often overlap in scope. Some of the method signatures on these methods are horrendous because people have tried to adapt, for example, a single "create_user" method to support too many different scenarios* — non-approved user, regular user, admin user, and so on.
> Expensive setup that doesn't allow granular control over what, exactly, gets set up without adding more options to the helper method or creating another redundant setup method.
> (This is the most important one.) Tons of redundant setup code. Throughout many large spec suites, you'll notice a lot of redundant setup code. This redundant code can easily be grouped into a scenario that can more easily be reused throughout your specs.
> I'd love to hear any feedback you guys might have. The readme should cover most of the bases, but please let me know if you have any questions. The current examples in the readme are a bit trivial and don't really make a strong case for the use of scenarios over mixins, but I'll try to come up with better examples soon.
>
> -Tyson

Hey Tyson,

I hate to be the bearer of "you can already do that", but, you can already do that (as of rspec-core-2.6)

http://relishapp.com/rspec/rspec-core/dir/example-groups/shared-context
https://gist.github.com/1009111

The only difference that I see is the use of the term 'scenario', which could be resolved with a couple of aliases.

WDYT?

David