[rspec-users] Difference between :each and :all

Jon Homan jon at jonhoman.com
Thu Jan 27 18:07:23 EST 2011

My understanding is that the before :each block runs before every example.
While before :all blocks run once for the entire example group.

Any side effects in the examples will be persist for objects if you use a
before :all block. But if you were to use before :each, you guarantee the
state before every example is run.

Stupid code example.

describe "stuff"
  before :all do
    puts "done one time"

  before :each do
    puts "done once for every example"

  describe "one thing stuff does" do

  describe "second thing stuff does" do

You'd see something like this in the output:
done one time
done once for every example
done once for every example

Again, this is just my understanding. Could be wrong.
Jon Homan