[rspec-users] --tty vs. --color

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 16:16:46 EST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 3:03 PM, John-Mason P. Shackelford wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> What is the difference between rspec --tty and rspec --color. I just
> noticed that under JRuby output for --color is not colored but for --
> tty it is. Seems like we only need one color option, why two?

The --tty option is there to tell RSpec that the output is being streamed to a terminal as opposed to a file, in which case we don't want to print the color codes even if --color is invoked.

--tty by itself does not invoke colorization - there's got to be --color set somewhere: any of:

./.rspec
~/.rspec
ENV["SPEC_OPTS"]
RSpec.configure ...