[rspec-users] Ability to stub a method differently the second time its called

Rob Aldred Rob.aldred at stardotstar.com
Wed Jan 26 08:34:35 EST 2011

I'm having a bit of trouble stubbing out a method on a model which has some quite specific behaviour.
Basically I want to check the method returns something different after ive called update_attributes

eg.

@exam.draft?  (returns true)
@exam.update_attributes(params[:exam])  # sets draft to false
@exam.draft?  (returns false)

To give this some context, if the exam is a draft and update_attributes sets draft to false
then we want to redirect to the show view instead of edit because only exams that are draft can be edited.

if @exam.draft?
	@exam.update_attributes param[:exam]
end

if @exam.draft?
	redirect_to :action => :edit
else
	redirect_to :action => :show
end

I can obviously set consecutive values with and_return(true,false)
but this feels a bit unreliable? maybe im just confusing myself

--
Rob Aldred

Software Developer
rob at stardotstar.com
twitter: stardotstar

47 Newton Street, Manchester, M1 1FT
T: +44 (0) 161 236 9740

This email and any files or ideas transmitted within it are sent in
confidence and are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify the system manager at info at stardotstar.com