[rspec-users] 'require'ing files from other directories

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Thu Jan 20 19:58:48 EST 2011

On 20 Jan 2011, at 19:32, Brian Warner wrote:

> I'm going through The RSpec Book and am currently working with the
> Mastermind game example.
> But that's besides the point.
> The way my directories are setup is like so:
> /mastermind/features/step_definitions...
> /mastermind/lib/codebreaker/...
> I have a file in step_definitions that's giving me an error for an
> uninitialized constant. My guess is I need to 'require' the file where
> that class is defined. Said files is located in /lib/codebreaker.
> I am very new to Ruby so this is probably a really simple question but
> how do I 'require' a file in codebreaker from a file inside
> step_definitions?

You could try asking on the RSpec Book's own forum: http://forums.pragprog.com/forums/95

This question is really more Cucumber related so you could also ask on the cukes google group.

Your guess is right. The best place to put your require statement is in features/support/env.rb

I'm surprised that the book doesn't tell you to do that - did you maybe miss a step?

matt at mattwynne.net
07974 430184