[rspec-users] major release required?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 13:31:59 EST 2011

On Jan 18, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since the release of rspec-2.0, I've been following Rubygems' rational versioning [1] as closely as possible. Patch releases (2.4.x) have only had bug fixes, and minor releases (2.x.0) have had new features, but no (intentionally) backward incompatible changes, which should require a major (3.0) release.
>>
>> The autotest extension in rspec-2.0 prefixes the command it generates with 'bundle exec' if it sees a 'Gemfile' in the project root directory. It turns out that this is not universally helpful, so there was a request to have an opt-out.
>>
>> It also turns out that autotest has a bundler plugin that prefixes the command with 'bundle exec'. To use an autotest plugin, you just require it in a .autotest file in the project root. In this case:
>>
>>  require 'autotest/bundler'
>>
>> I think the right thing to do is to rely on the autotest plugin, but I also think that this would require a 3.0 release, which feels a bit grand for this situation. My question to you is: do you think this warrants a major (3.0) release, or would it be an acceptable exception to the rule (assuming proper fanfare and documentation)?
>
> Can't something be done here as a non-breaking change?  I can see two things.
>
> 1) add the requested option, I think this is optional
>
> 2) in lib/autotest/rspec2.rb
>
>   def using_bundler?
>    File.exists?('./Gemfile') && !defined Autotest::Bundler  # and
> also check for the option if you decide to do #1
>  end

I actually did implement a --skip-bundler option (not yet released), but it has to be passed like this:

autotest -- --skip-bundler

Considering that this is a total hack, and that I'd be removing it at the next major release anyway, I really don't want to introduce a hack on top of a hack. I'd sooner do a 3.0 release now.