[rspec-users] major release required?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 12:08:23 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Since the release of rspec-2.0, I've been following Rubygems' rational versioning [1] as closely as possible. Patch releases (2.4.x) have only had bug fixes, and minor releases (2.x.0) have had new features, but no (intentionally) backward incompatible changes, which should require a major (3.0) release.
> The autotest extension in rspec-2.0 prefixes the command it generates with 'bundle exec' if it sees a 'Gemfile' in the project root directory. It turns out that this is not universally helpful, so there was a request to have an opt-out.
> It also turns out that autotest has a bundler plugin that prefixes the command with 'bundle exec'. To use an autotest plugin, you just require it in a .autotest file in the project root. In this case:
>  require 'autotest/bundler'
> I think the right thing to do is to rely on the autotest plugin, but I also think that this would require a 3.0 release, which feels a bit grand for this situation. My question to you is: do you think this warrants a major (3.0) release, or would it be an acceptable exception to the rule (assuming proper fanfare and documentation)?

Can't something be done here as a non-breaking change?  I can see two things.

1) add the requested option, I think this is optional

2) in lib/autotest/rspec2.rb

   def using_bundler?
    File.exists?('./Gemfile') && !defined Autotest::Bundler  # and
also check for the option if you decide to do #1

Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale