[rspec-users] major release required?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 09:15:51 EST 2011

Hi all,

Since the release of rspec-2.0, I've been following Rubygems' rational versioning [1] as closely as possible. Patch releases (2.4.x) have only had bug fixes, and minor releases (2.x.0) have had new features, but no (intentionally) backward incompatible changes, which should require a major (3.0) release.

The autotest extension in rspec-2.0 prefixes the command it generates with 'bundle exec' if it sees a 'Gemfile' in the project root directory. It turns out that this is not universally helpful, so there was a request to have an opt-out.

It also turns out that autotest has a bundler plugin that prefixes the command with 'bundle exec'. To use an autotest plugin, you just require it in a .autotest file in the project root. In this case:

  require 'autotest/bundler'

I think the right thing to do is to rely on the autotest plugin, but I also think that this would require a 3.0 release, which feels a bit grand for this situation. My question to you is: do you think this warrants a major (3.0) release, or would it be an acceptable exception to the rule (assuming proper fanfare and documentation)?

[1] http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/7

Cheers,
David