[rspec-users] Aidmock - safe mocking

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 23:45:10 EST 2011

On Jan 16, 2011, at 5:52 PM, Wilker wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I launched some days ago a new project that aims to make the use of mocks
> safer.
> This is the URL of project: https://github.com/wilkerlucio/aidmock
>
> The basic idea is to make user define interfaces of classes, when user
> defines the class interface (which is something like defining method
> signatures on C or Java) Aidmock automatic generate some sanity check
> specs, these specs will verify if class has the method defined, and if
> it respect arity of interface.
>
> And more important, when user create mocks while developing specs, it
> will verify all defined mocks, and check if they are respecting
> defined interface.
>
> You can saw more about project motivation here(with some example of
> why it exists): https://github.com/wilkerlucio/aidmock/wiki/Motivation
>
> This project is a kind of experimental one, with a different idea, and
> any feedback will be really welcome.

Hi Wilker,

There have been numerous requests for a tool that would warn when mocking method that don't exist, and I think it is great that you are working on aidmock.

In the Motivation wiki page, you say that you recommend using real objects instead of mocks in all cases. I don't agree with this, as an important basis for mock objects is the idea that we should mock roles, not objects [1].

I imagine that aidmock could work equally well with real objects and mock objects if there were a hook to tell a mock what interfaces it is allowed to stub. Something like:

account = double('account').constrained_to(MyInterface)

WDYT?

[1] http://static.mockobjects.com/files/mockrolesnotobjects.pdf