[rspec-users] RSpec newbie ran rspec 2.4 on WinXP, got HOME undefined

RichardOnRails RichardDummyMailbox58407 at USComputerGurus.com
Mon Jan 10 21:48:20 EST 2011

Hi Simon,

> Sounds like rspec is relying on some *NIX stuff here
Yeah,  I recognized that it was looking for a home directory on a *nix
box, but I couldn't think of a counterpart on Windows,  because I've
only got a slew of partitions (C:\, D:\ ...) but no home.

You came up with a good insight.  I tried my admin subdir in Documents
and Settings and noted that one  of the subdirectories was gem.  That
sounded good,  but no prize.  So I did a search of DandS for rspec.
Found a good subdir with lots of rspec entries.

Set HOME to that via the control panel.  Started a new Command Window
so that the new settings would be read in and got.

K:\>rspec -v

Mission Accomplished.

Thanks for your keen insights.