[rspec-users] RSpec newbie ran rspec 2.4 on WinXP, got HOME undefined

RichardOnRails RichardDummyMailbox58407 at USComputerGurus.com
Mon Jan 10 16:37:46 EST 2011

Hi,

I'm running WinXP-Pro/SP3 & Ruby 1.8.6

I just got the RSpec Book and successfully ran
gem install rspec --version 2.0.0
per the book's suggestion.

In a Command window, I ran
K:\>rspec -v
and got:
K:/_Utilities/ruby186-26_rc2/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rspec-
core-2.4.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration_options.rb:9:couldn't find
HOME environment -- expanding `~' (ArgumentError)

I ran "gem install rspec -v 2.4.0" successfully and got the same
symptom,
except this time the intermediate portions of the error message
referred to
gems/1.8/gems/rspec-core-2.4.0

I checked my environment variables for HOME; it is undefined.

Could it be that RSpec relies on some Ruby 1.9 functionality?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
--
Richard