[rspec-users] Rspec is swallowing undefined methods in it's method_missing and looping forever

Myron Marston myron.marston at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 23:25:11 EST 2011

On Feb 21, 11:45 am, Curtis j Schofield <curtis.schofi... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Has anyone else encountered this?
>
> It will end up printing this :
>
>  1) Applications Scribd api requests should always be private
>      Failure/Error: Unable to find matching line from backtrace
>      SystemStackError:
>        stack level too deep
>      # /Users/o_o/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0 at capr3
> /gems/rspec-expectations-2.5.0/lib/rspec/matchers/method_missing.rb:7
>
> We noticed this.
>
> Curtis Schofield & Anita Kuno
>
> --
> make haste slowly \
> festina lente  \
> -
> mobile  +1_415_632_6001
> cur... at robotarmyma.dehttp://robotarmyma.de

A similar issue has been reported[1].  It's a weird bug with ruby
1.9[2].  When you include RSpec::Matchers in an example group, it
makes `super` recurse infinitely.

The solution, for now, is to not include RSpec::Matchers in an example
group.  You shouldn't need to, anyway; RSpec takes care of including
it for you.  I'm working on a fix to work around the bug in 1.9.

Myron

[1] https://github.com/rspec/rspec-expectations/issues#issue/63
[2] https://gist.github.com/845896