[rspec-users] Support for rspec-2 and rails 2.3.x

Wilson Bilkovich wilsonb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 22:24:23 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:08 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> largely due to changes in Rails 3, not just changes in RSpec.
> The good news is that the rspec-rails-2 gem has significantly less monkey patching than the rspec-rails-1 gems did, so the likelihood that future Rails releases will force RSpec releases is seriously diminished.
>> This is part of the traditional "every rspec release breaks
>> everything" experience that has been such a pleasure since 0.8.x.
> While I appreciate that RSpec has such a history, this is simply no longer the case. Since the 2.0 release there has only been one breaking change, and it was related to an integration point between RSpec, Autotest, and Bundler. There have been no breaking API changes, nor will there be any planned before a 3.0 release.

This is totally fair. :)

I've just worked through four major evolutions of rspec and three or
so that broke extensions I had written.
Having now read the rspec2 / rspec2-rails source, I agree that it
looks a lot cleaner and probably isn't going to break again.

Awesome job; I particularly like request specs and the new matcher declarations.