[rspec-users] Support for rspec-2 and rails 2.3.x

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 23:08:50 EST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 8:09 PM, Wilson Bilkovich wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Ross Kaffenberger <rosskaff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyone have rspec-2 working with rails 2.3.x? We're looking at this route as
>> an incremental step towards upgrading to rails 3.
>> I saw David C mention in the rpec-2 release notes this might be on the
>> roadmap... curious to see if there's any progress on that front or how we
>> can contribute.
>
> To my knowledge this isn't even a twinkle in the repo's eye,

Very poetic.

> and is
> going to take some serious effort.

Yes - it basically requires a re-write of the existing rspec-rails-1.3 gem backed by RSpec-2. The thing is, even if such a thing were to come into being, it would not really make the Rails-3 transition any simpler. You'd still have to upgrade from rspec-rails-2-for-rails-2 to rspec-rails-2, and it would only save you a couple of upgrade steps. And that's largely due to changes in Rails 3, not just changes in RSpec.

The good news is that the rspec-rails-2 gem has significantly less monkey patching than the rspec-rails-1 gems did, so the likelihood that future Rails releases will force RSpec releases is seriously diminished.

> This is part of the traditional "every rspec release breaks
> everything" experience that has been such a pleasure since 0.8.x.

While I appreciate that RSpec has such a history, this is simply no longer the case. Since the 2.0 release there has only been one breaking change, and it was related to an integration point between RSpec, Autotest, and Bundler. There have been no breaking API changes, nor will there be any planned before a 3.0 release.

Cheers,
David