[rspec-users] RSpec doesn't see the DATA constant

Shamaoke shamaoke at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 24 01:35:51 EST 2011

In Ruby there's the `DATA` constant which contains the lines following
the `__END__` keyword in the source file. For some reason RSpec
doesn't see it.

Here's the example:

# data_spec.rb

requre 'rspec'

describe 'DATA' do
  it 'contains lines following the __END__ keyword' do
    DATA.read.should == "Hello from underground!\n"

Hello from underground!

If then I run `$ rspec data_spec.rb`, I'm getting 'NameError:
uninitialized constant RSpec::Core::ExampleGroup::Nested_1::DATA'.
However, if I use `$ ruby data_spec.rb` all works fine.

Why RSpec doesn't see the constant when I use the `rspec` command? How
can I solve the problem?

Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.7;

Ruby 1.9.2;

RSpec 2.5.0.