[rspec-users] it_behaves_like and running single examples

Justin Ko jko170 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 12:57:10 EST 2011

On Feb 16, 7:34 am, Andrew Vargo <ajva... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running rspec 2 and rails 3 in a project.
>
> When I have a shared example being used in a spec file, I loose the
> ability to run a single test in that file.
> rspec spec/controllers/proposals_controller_spec.rb:13  for instance
> will always give me a green '..', even if I put uparsable junk in that
> example like
> it "should choke" do
>   asdfasdfasdfasfd
> end
>
> Running the file w/o the line number works ace.
>
> When I remove the shared example line: it_behaves_like "...", all goes
> back to normal.
>
> Any thoughts?  Even if where to start diagnosing it?  My shared
> example is in a rb file in spec/support.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Since there is no code for us to look at, the best I can recommend for
you is to use the "-e" or "--example" option instead of the line
number option. Example:

describe User do
  context "that is invalid" do
    it "has an error" do

rspec spec/models/user_spec.rb -e "that is invalid"
rspec spec/models/user_spec.rb -e "has an error"

Hope that helps.