[rspec-users] Controller Specs - undefined local variable or method 'app'

Doug Bryant doug+rspecuser at netinlet.com
Fri Feb 11 18:05:55 EST 2011

On one of my projects using rspec 2.5 & rails 3.0.4, I recently moved from
postgres to mongo and am using mongoid as the persistence library.

I ported all the models over to the mongoid way of doing things and now have
all my models passing the tests.

None of the controller test work any more.  They all fail with the following
error message about undefined local variable or method.

  Failure/Error: post :create, :account => {}
>      NameError:
>        undefined local variable or method `app' for
> #<RSpec::Core::ExampleGroup::Nested_1::Nested_5::Nested_2:0x00000102cb6698>
>      # ./spec/controllers/accounts_controller_spec.rb:84:in `block (4
> levels) in <top (required)>'

Has anyone else run across this?  Any ideas about how to fix it?

Doug